Re: sound device only available to root?? (message from lspci -v)

Well I'm in trouble then:  :-)

VGA compatible controller:
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

same for the sound card, I don't know what it means exactly but I have
both X and sound as a normal user :-)

What sound card are you using ? Is your driver loaded as a module ?
I remember hearing somewhere that the master volume might default to 0, so
try aumix to set the volume...

Good Luck,
Romain