Re: Eek! X won't go away!

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Gavin Hamill wrote:

> Hi :) It was the generic 'xdm' that was the problem, but when I tried to
> remove it, it wanted to take 'task-x-window-system' away, too.. so I
> decided to just remove the startup lines in /etc/rc.* :)

There's no problem with removing task-x-window-system, or
task-anything-else for that matter.  Those packages don't contain any
files; they exist only for their dependencies, which make up a typical set
of packages to be used for a given task.

That's why you got xdm installed in the first place: you installed
task-x-window-system and the maintainer had made xdm a dependency,
figuring that it was a typically useful package to have with an X
installation.

Of course, you're allowed to disagree and remove xdm if you wish.  If
you're not using it, it's just wasting disk space, and you won't lose
anything by removing task-x-window-system.

--
David Steinberg                             -o)
Computer Engineering Undergrad, UBC         / \