Re: (linux)how do allow pings (and stuff)

Thanks Nate (and for the others who have also relied with a similar fashion),
but the problem is when I try to ping my machine from a _different_ host.  From
this different host I can ping other machines, just not my machine (where debian
is running).

That is, I can ping _from_ my machine with no problem, I kind ping to it though.

Other suggestions anyone? Please...

TIA

Richard

PS  I can ftp to my machine, so it isn't an "obvious" network problem

Nate Amsden wrote:

> Richard Black wrote:
> >
> > Hi all
> >
> > I have too much security on my machine :-)
> >
> > I want other machines on the network to be able to ping me (and later,
> > to be able to connect via sockets to a server on another machine on the
> > net work).
> >
> > Currently, if I try and ping my machine from another host I get:
> >
> > ping: socket: Permission denied
>
> make sure the /bin/ping is owned by root.root and it is setuid. assuming
> the other machine is debian it should look something like this:
> -rwsr-xr-x    1 root     root        14896 Jul 15  2000 /bin/ping
>
> nate
>
> --
> :::
> ICQ: 75132336
> http://www.aphroland.org/
> http://www.linuxpowered.net/
> aphro@aphroland.org
>
> --
begin:vcard
n:Black;Richard
tel;fax:416-971-4159
tel;home:
tel;work:416-217-4350
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Algorithmics Inc
adr:;;185 Spadina Avenue;Toronto;Ontario;M5T 2C6;Canada
version:2.1
email;internet:rblack@algorithmics.com
title:Financial Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:;-18400