Re: ldap & debian

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 04:50:46PM -0800, Known Human Nick Rusnov wrote:

> Well I'm having a heck of a time getting a freshly installed Potato box to
> authenticate with an openldap server.
>
> I'm new to this whole ldap thing, is there a guide somewhere to reconfiguring
> debian to use ldap for things? All the guides I've found just have a pam.conf
> example that I'm not sure how to translate into using with the pam.d setup...
> (I tried, for example, taking the lines that started with login in the examples
> and addinf them to the login file in pam.d).

I'd probably apt-get -b source libpam-ldap from the unstable dist.  While
you're building it take a look that directory, it has a bunch of examples
for pam.d configs.

you may want libnss-ldap, too, but that means you're storing posixAccounts
in the ldap server.

> pam doesn't seem to produce much debugging inyformation, but it did produce some
> lines saying incorrect (or was that insufficient?) credentials.. this is wether
> I have it bind as the admin acccount or not.

yeah it doesn't.  i had a heck of a time setting it up myself.  i can help
you out if you need more help, but you probably want to CC me because I
don't keep up with list on a regular basis.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I'd be really suprised if there were no debian-specific info out there, given
> that the whole debian cluster seems to use ldap for everything.

which debian cluster?