INSTALLATION TROUBLE

Hi, my friends.
I´m a new user to Debian. I have been traing to install several times your "vanilla" flavor of debian in to my cumputer.

I  partitioned my harddisk with MS-DOS "fdisk" command, and no I got one primary partition of about 1.5GB and another partition of about 1.5GB too, it seems to me that I wrote the second one as extended.

The problem is I havent been able to install Debian in one of those partitions, I am running Windows on one partition and want to stick with it at the same time.

When I boot my computer with (F8) in to MS-DOS, I call my drive D:\Debian\vanilla\install.exe, so the installation stops and asks me the direction of my kernel image.

I have already downloaded the files as follows:

D:\Debian\vanilla\base2_2.tgz
D:\Debian\vanilla\drivers.tgz
D:\Debian\vanilla\install.exe
D:\Debian\vanilla\linux.txt (i think this is the file not found)
D:\Debian\vanilla\dosutils\loadlin
D:\Debian\vanilla\images-1.44\driver-1.bin
D:\Debian\vanilla\images-1.44\rescue.bin
D:\Debian\vanilla\images-1.44\root.bin

My machine is AMD-586, 54MB RAM, 3GB (actually partitioned). I would really like to install Debian and get to work this system so if you could give any sugestion, it will be a lot of help. I dont like to be stick with Windows any more.

By the way if you have any documentation on programming (basic programming) on LINUX, I would really apreciate it.

*Note: I downloaded the files without going in to any folder of any other flavor, I asumed that the first files to appear were "vanilla".

Thanks,
Atila