runlevels and XF86Setup??

Hi all!!!

During the last few weeks, there have been
discussions about how to keep X from
automatically starting upon booting the system.
Most replys leaned towards disabling xdm in the
runlevel directory. This does work. However, I
came upon something strange. Here's what I did.

My default runlevel was runlevel 2.

I changed my default runlevel in /etc/inittab to
runlevel 3.

(note that /etc/rc2.d and /etc/rc3.d have the
same symlinks.)

in /etc/rc3.d I canged the symlink of S99xdm from
../init.d/xdm to /dev/null

This successfully keeps X from starting
automatically when I reboot the system.

The I use startx to start XFree.

Inside X, I try to run XF86Setup and the system
hangs.

I changed the symlink of S99xdm from /dev/null
back to ../init.d/xdm

This makes X start automatically when I reboot
the system.

XF86Setup runs without any problems.

comments? suggestions?

Xucaen