gpm and wheelmouse

Hello,

I needed to install XF86 4.0.2 in order to get my GeForce2 MX vid to work.
I did the install manually and it works happily except that I cannot get the
wheel of my Logitech TrackMan Marble to work.  My mouse config is as follows:

    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "Intellimouse"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse"

    Option "ChordMiddle"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

/dev/mouse is a symbolic link to /dev/gpmdata
I have not tweaked gpm because I don't really know how it works and can't
find very relevant docs for my issue.  The xserver seems content with the
settings and doesn't report warnings or errors except:
_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root

I am believing that the problem is with gpm because the wheel behaves
strangely out of X as well.  When I turn it is selects a lot of lines and
does pasting.

I am using potato other than the screwy X setup.