Re: ALSA with AWE64: help

Hello!

I think it isn't really a problem which has something to do with your alsa
config, but I think that the module for awe32 simply doesn't detect the i/o
port of your awe unit, for example because your isapnp conf has been messed
up. I suggest to you looking at your isapnp.conf and the module parameters
at modconf first, and if this doesn't help setting up alsa because it took a
while for me to setup my alsa properly. Or, if you haven't compiled your awe
driver as a module, I'd try this. If you cannot find any error in your
current configuration and want to give alsa a try, you can send me a mail
and I'll do my best to give you a description of how to set up alsa (don't
know it exactly at the moment- I'll have to take a look at my machine ;)).

Regards,

Stephan Hachinger

ALSA
> > setup?
> >
> > BTW, I have a AWE64 value sound card (which, again, worked completely
> prior to
> > alsa-base).
> >
> > I think ALSA is busted here because I get stuff like this on bootup:
> >
> >   AWE32: not detected
> >   Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
> >   SB 4.16 detected OK (220)
> >
> > or when I finish running alsaconf:

> >   Starting ALSA sound driver (version none): no driver installed.
> >   Setting the PCM volume to 100% and the Master output volume to 50%
> >   The ALSA sound driver was not detected in this system.
> >   Could not initialize the mixer, the card was probably
> >   not detected correctly.
> >
> > I suspect that I might need to install alsadriver (which is one of the
> > alsa-modules-* debs), but then I can't use the kernel I built myself
> (which
> > does have AWE and sound support, as it works without ALSA), or rather
I'm