Re: Best ways to secure POP/SMTP on server?

At 12:43 AM 1/5/01 +0100, andreas palsson wrote:
But I also realize that by doing that, my system could be misused by
other people than my users.
Just don't make it open relay then ;)

I am most worried about SMTP, in which there seems to be no(?) actual
password-verification.

Just use POP before SMTP method then, in meaning if you have mobile users, to make your users able to send mail using your SMTP server, they must authenticated themselves by checking their mail (POP) and then send their mail.

Does anyone have encountered a similar situation?
Suggestions on what to do? What to read?

www.qmail.org
www.postfix.org