Converting .mp3 to .cdr

I would like to convert some mp3 files to the .cdr format for writing
an audio CD.  The CD-Writing-HOWTO recommends using mpg123 as in
 mpg123 --cdr -s track1.mp3 > track1.cdr
but the version of mpg123 in mpg123_0.59q-2_i386.deb does not accept
the option --cdr, as far as I can tell.

I would appreciate suggestions for programs, preferably in Debian
packages, that can do this.  If the recommendation is to use mpg123
followed by sox I would appreciate getting the exact set of options to
use with sox on an i386 system.

Please cc: me on replies.