AGH! Hard disc faults!

Please help someone, and quickly!!

I have found that on my root drive (which is /dev/hdb4), I have a read fault on
block 131077. This is disrupting the boot sequence, and putting a whole load of
file system errors on other file systems.

I have run through with fsck and it reports a :

Error reading block 131077 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in
short read) while doing inode scan.

The boot up gets fairly screwed as it is having major problems in reading from
the root file system. Fsck it seems can not fix it, and none of my linux books
talk of any other disk repair utilities. Does anyone know what I should do?

Please!?

With thanks,

Matthew

--