formatting new partition

I've created a 200Mb Linux partition to house various downloaded
files I intend to make accessible to a number of distros while I
continue to test out ideas and learn. Having only dial-up modem
access, this will let me save on 'phone charges (i.e. not
d/loading the same thing into different distros).

It seems formatting can be done with 'mkfs' - most of the manpage
is (hopefully!) clear, but I have seen no guidance on what block
sizes would be appropriate or what the advantages/disadvantages
of different ones are. 512 and 8192 may well be the extremes of
choice - but what should I select and why?

This is just a spare stand-alone PC box, using Potato r0 as its
mainstay - the Processor is a Pentium 166MMX (left over from
upgrades).

Would someone kindly offer advice.     John.