xfree86 4.x, sony vaio c1xd, neomagic chip

I have a Sony C1xD (really neat subnotebook) with a 1024x480 display.
After upgrading from Xfree86 3.3.6 to 4.0.1 I have had problems with the
display size
settings in XF86Config-4.

Even if I only have one Mode (1024x480) specified, the Neomagic chipset
reports
that the screen is a 1024x768 and uses that setting (found in
/var/tmp/XFree86* log file).
The xserver starts, but there are some problems with the mouse pointer
coming
low on the screen if flips over and comes at the top again.
Further, I cant the fvmw navigation windown over the logical screens
I have because it is probably placed below my physical screen.

Any hints?
Anders