Re: Last woody upgrade = chaos?!

On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 12:05:29AM +0100, Toens Bueker wrote:

> Hi *,
>
> I use woody for quite a long time already - but during the update from
> libc6 2.1.97-1 to libc6 2.2 something went wrong.
>
> Several packages, which seem to use networking functions are now broken:
>
> - syslogd
> - ping
> - ftp
> - emacs
> - apt-get
>

> Some of those try to open a socket in /var/run/.nscd_socket (which
> does not exist).
>
> Some just segfault (emacs).
>
> >From former threads in this list I know, that there might be issues
> with libnss*.
>
> I really need that machine up and running again urgently - what can I do?
> Are there fixed packages maybe already somewhere in incoming?
are you sure these packages really are upgraded? it is possible apt stopped
for some reason (some time) after libc was upgraded, and didn't install new
versions of these packages. it's also possible your mirror doesn't have all
new packages, that's the reason i've 3 mirrors in sources.list, try adding
an other mirror (or ftp to a mirror by hand and look for new apt package).

i'm running libc6 2.2 for some time now, and all are working ok.
if you can't use ftp/wget/lynx, download them from another machine and
transport them to the broken one via nfs or floppy disks.

since woody runs great for me with 2.2, i suspect these failing packages
are just the old ones build for libc6 2.1.x

--
> Name:           Alson van der Meulen      <
> Personal:       alson@linuxfreak.nl       <
> School:       alson@gymnasiumleiden.nl    <
I have never seen it do *that* before...