Re: Solved: Now X-Windows Problem: Re: /bin/sh: /usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure: No such file or directory

Hi I am using woody and I am having the same problem. Last Sunday I did an upgrade and got the new XFree 4. Since then quite a few things have been getting worse and worse. The worst is that since 2 days starting X makes the screen black and the machine locks-up. Actually I don't think the machine is locked, it is just unable to read the keyboard (and mouse). While I was looking sadly at the black screen, anacron started the usual updatedb and did it fine (as far as I can guess from the noise!).

Other problems have been
a) while using X, text is displayed well, but the characters I type are displayed too close to each other, so that it's impossible to read them.
b) suspend to disk works only from time to time.

Till now I have not succeded in fizing this. In case I can, I'll tell you.

Thanks
Alessandro