Re: ISDN Dial In

> > > i just got my first debian cd's ever and everything worked fine yet.
> > > but like every time i have problems setting up the ISDN connection (maybe
> > > it's the most complicated task cause i can't get online help during the
> > > configuration ;)
> > > i installed the isdnutils package, the kernel modules for the isdn system
> > > and the isdncard are up and running.
> > > i executed isdnconfig and created the config files.
> > > i changed the values for my localmsn, the remote msn and my username.
> > > finally i created /etc/pap-secrets and added my username and password.
> > > now when i try to connect, imon shows me online for about a second and
> > > then disconnects.
> > > in /var/log/messages everything i see is the same; that it disconnects
> > > immidiatly after login.
> > > so i think this is an authentication error.
> > > unfortunatly the debian online book i know doesn't tell anything about
> > > authentication it just says "read the documentation".
> > > and the isdnutils documentation just says "you have to add an entry to
> > > pap-secrets" well this is not much informative :(
> > > does anyone in this list got his isdn dialin with athentification working
> > > and could tell me what exactly i have to do (maybe i missed something)?
> > > or can anyone give me hint how to find the error?
> > > btw, my provider is t-online (germany).
> >
> > Try to enable debugging, both in .etc.isdn/ipppd.ippp0 and in
> > /etc/syslog.conf and try to inspect the logs afterwards. You might also
> > post them in the list. I believe you should restart /etc/init.d/sysklogd
> > after changing its config file.
>
> ok, i enabled debugging.
> in /var/log/messages i have the following entry when i start isdnutils:
>
> Nov  3 15:14:33 ranger ipppd: info: no PAP secret entry for this user!

I am nut sure it is important, but might be wrong. I have:

[19:56:11 /tmp]$ grep CHAP /var/log/syslog
Nov  3 19:01:31 rakefet ipppd: info: no CHAP secret entry for this user!
[19:56:17 /tmp]$

Are you sure your ISP uses these auth methods? Perhaps it is using CHAP? What
are the messages after this one?

> my pap-secrets file looks like this (i backupped the old one, cause i found
> it too complicated, btw, is "i found it too complicated" a valid english
> sentence?):
>
> "000124325234#543235436524#0001"	*	23425432
>
> of course i changed the values.
>
> in ipppd.ippp0 i changed only a value in the auth section:
>
> # AUTHENTICATION
>
> name "000124325234#543235436524#0001"    # set local name for auth XXX_
> #user X               # set name for auth with peer; default is value for name
> #usehostname            # use hostname for auth
> #remotename X           # set remote name for auth
> #noauth                 # (dont) require peer (the other) to auth
> #require-pap            # allow only pap authentication (dialin only)
> #require-chap           # allow only chap authentication (dialin only)
> #login                  # use system password database for pap
> #papcrypt               # pap passwords are encrypted
>
> any ideas what's going wrong?

Beside syslog I would also examine messages and debug files.
--

	Shaul Karl <shaulka@bezeqint.net>