Fwd: Re: ISDN Dial In

> > i just got my first debian cd's ever and everything worked fine yet.
> > but like every time i have problems setting up the ISDN connection (maybe
> > it's the most complicated task cause i can't get online help during the
> > configuration ;)
> > i installed the isdnutils package, the kernel modules for the isdn system
> > and the isdncard are up and running.
> > i executed isdnconfig and created the config files.
> > i changed the values for my localmsn, the remote msn and my username.
> > finally i created /etc/pap-secrets and added my username and password.
> > now when i try to connect, imon shows me online for about a second and
> > then disconnects.
> > in /var/log/messages everything i see is the same; that it disconnects
> > immidiatly after login.
> > so i think this is an authentication error.
> > unfortunatly the debian online book i know doesn't tell anything about
> > authentication it just says "read the documentation".
> > and the isdnutils documentation just says "you have to add an entry to
> > pap-secrets" well this is not much informative :(
> > does anyone in this list got his isdn dialin with athentification working
> > and could tell me what exactly i have to do (maybe i missed something)?
> > or can anyone give me hint how to find the error?
> > btw, my provider is t-online (germany).
>
> Try to enable debugging, both in .etc.isdn/ipppd.ippp0 and in
> /etc/syslog.conf and try to inspect the logs afterwards. You might also
> post them in the list. I believe you should restart /etc/init.d/sysklogd
> after changing its config file.

ok, i enabled debugging.
in /var/log/messages i have the following entry when i start isdnutils:

Nov  3 15:14:33 ranger ipppd: info: no PAP secret entry for this user!

my pap-secrets file looks like this (i backupped the old one, cause i found
it too complicated, btw, is "i found it too complicated" a valid english
sentence?):

"000124325234#543235436524#0001"	*	23425432

of course i changed the values.

in ipppd.ippp0 i changed only a value in the auth section:

# AUTHENTICATION

name "000124325234#543235436524#0001"    # set local name for auth XXX_
#user X               # set name for auth with peer; default is value for
 name #usehostname            # use hostname for auth
#remotename X           # set remote name for auth
#noauth                 # (dont) require peer (the other) to auth
#require-pap            # allow only pap authentication (dialin only)
#require-chap           # allow only chap authentication (dialin only)
#login                  # use system password database for pap
#papcrypt               # pap passwords are encrypted

any ideas what's going wrong?