Re: Security Updates.

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 03:06:09PM -0000, mr matsui wrote:
> Could anybody please clarify for me,
> Should I use proposed-updates/ or security.debian.org in apt-get for
> security updates ?

security.debian.org

> Are there any mirrors for security.debian.org ?

no

> Whats the difference between proposed-updates/ and security.debian.org ?

proprosed-updates is for bugfixes that are proposed for potato r1.
security updates go here too so they can be merged proper into the
distribution at next point release (r1, r2 etc)

occasionally there does end up a security update in proprosed-updates
that does not get into security.debian.org for alot longer then it
should take.  traceroute was one example of this, tmpreaper is a less
severe example (DoS that can be prevented with disk quotas) GnuPG is
another example (though its a different sort of security problem,
every other dist seems to think it warrents a security update)

tmpreaper and GnuPG are still not in security.debian.org.  so
depending on how closely you watch security lists like BugTraq, and
how concerned you are about some sorts of security problems you might
want to track proprosed-updates too, just keep in mind there are
updates there that are not security related and could break things.
often times you also need to get sources from proposed-updates and
build the packages yourself if you use an arch != i386.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/