newbie with a bunch of questions

Hi,

i've just downloaded debian potato but only potato/main/binary-i386 and
potato/main/disks-i386.
Well now i could install the very base system. But now i don't get along
with installing the binaries.

I started dselect and modified the access file that i want to install from

file:/debian/binary-i386

this is where i copied the binaries to... but if i try to update the binary
list he always looks at

/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386 ....well so i copied the binaries to
this location and i could update my binary list and there were about 3000
binaries found... well ok so far so good....

But if i now want to install them he can't find them... because i think he
looks for them in /debian/potato/dists/main/... anything like this... how
can i change the location of the *.deb files to install from?
And furthermore he looks for binary-all ??? do i have to download them too?

perhaps you can help me a bit how to install the binaries best =)

tom