How to use Suspend to RAM

HI!
I have a Tekram DC390F SCSI adapter Bios 3.20 and an ASUS K7V Mainboard,
which supports suspend to RAM. I have a 9GB IBM SCSI HD and a DVD ROM on
the SCSI Adapter and use Kernel 2.2.17 and Potato with apm support
installed.

Now my question. How can I have the System go into suspend? When I issue
the command, the system beeps three times, the Processor (Athlon 700)
seems to swich into suspend and its ventilator seems to power down.
However, the HD and its fans as well as the power supply with its fan
continue to run. How can I have them go to suspend too, as they should??

TIA
Thorsten Manegold