Re: Gnome or KDE2

>what would you suggest Gnome oder KDE2 ?
>
>It would be great if you also could comment why the one you suggest is
>better =)
>
>thx
>
>Tom

I can't believe this hasn't caused a flame-war yet. Anyway, here's my take...

For GNOME, I'd suggest getting Helix's GNOME packages. There usually up-to-date
and give a polished appearance. GNOME is mostly written in C and was started
after KDE. For this reason, GNOME is usually about 6 months behind KDE. GNOME is
going through changes right now in preparation for 1.4 (a minor release) and
then 2.0 (when all hell breaks loose). The changes for 2.0 will require code to
be modified as it will NOT be backwards compatible. Oh yea, GNOME also has the
backing of IBM, SUN and some other big boys.

KDE just released KDE 2.0 (aka KDE2) which is mostly coded in C++. It has a web
browser (Konqueror) that is similar to IE but not as complete. Konqueror still
needs some work on javascript and other areas, nonetheless, it's quite speedy
and can also be used for purposes (file browsing, ftp access, etc). KDE2 also
includes KOffice, KDE's office suite. It's not complete by any means, but
supposedly it has all the basic functionality minus the bloat-ware features:) I
should also mention that KDE2 still crashes apps every now and then, but hey, it
was a major rewrite.

In regards to both, I believe GNOME is more popular in the US whereas KDE is
more popular everywhere else (I know at least in Europe according to the latest
LinuxWorld article). Also, KDE has won the people's choice award the last two
years for their desktop, if that means anything to ya. Another pesonal note, it
seems that GNOME is always pushing projects (Evolution, Nautilus) that are not
quite finished, whereas KDE just presents the finished goods.

In the end, I suggest trying out both environments. Some people swear by one,
and some the other. It seems to be just a matter of preference for most users.

Scott