Re: ppp problem (again)

> Hi there.
> I've been strugling with my null modem-ppp-configuration, and last night I
> gained some progress: I found pppd option 'local', and with that I managed
> to make pppd's on both machines to send ConfReq packets. They didn't do that
> without 'local', they propably just waited for 'carried detect' or
> something, which they obviously couldn't get from null modem cable. But, as
> you can see from syslog, things aren't still working yet:
>
> Nov  1 18:58:02 debianph pppd[190]: pppd 2.3.11 started by root, uid 0
> Nov  1 18:58:02 debianph pppd[190]: Using interface ppp0
> Nov  1 18:58:02 debianph pppd[190]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
> Nov  1 18:58:02 debianph pppd[190]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0>
> Nov  1 18:58:14 debianph last message repeated 4 times
> Nov  1 18:58:17 debianph pppd[190]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
> Nov  1 18:58:17 debianph pppd[190]: Connection terminated.
> Nov  1 18:58:17 debianph pppd[190]: Exit.
>
> So, now pppd's are sending ConfReq's (syslog is similar in both machines),
> but either one of them isn't receiving anything. Hardware is working,
> because getty-seyon combination works. What could be wrong? Could I somehow
> monitor serial ports to see if or if not they really are receiving
> something? I put my config files in here also, maybe some of you can figure
> something out of this information.
>
> /etc/ppp/options:
>
> asyncmap 0
> lock
> local
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> noauth
> debug
> crtscts
> lcp-max-configure 5
>
> /etc/ppp/options.ttyS1:
>
> 100.100.100.10:100.100.100.51
>
> Hope that some of you can give me some hints. Thanks in advance.

I not sure what you are trying to do but if you want one machine to accpet ppp
connections from another machine then you might install mgetty. Debian mgetty
is patched to help users accomplish what I believe you are trying to do. Read
/usr/share/doc/{mgetty,ppp} since it is mentioned there in details.
One thing I believe you are missing is the need to login to the ppp-server
machine before the clients attempts to use ppp.