Re: Strange PPP server

On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 10:24:09PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> Jonathan Markevich writes:
> > I don't understand getting the PPP garbage right away...
>
> It means that the ISP wants to use PAP or CHAP authentication.

Yes, but...

> > Any suggestions off the top of your heads?
>
> Run pppconfig, select 'PAP' authentication, and connect with 'pon' and
> disconnect with 'poff'.
>
> Most ISP's use PAP.  A few use CHAP: try that next if PAP doesn't work.  A
> very few use scripted logins, which is what you are trying to use and which
> your ISP does not use.
>
> If you've made any changes to /etc/ppp/options undo them.
>
> If this doesn't work ask for help again.

Here I am!

The line in pap-secrets reads something like...

username	*	password

and yet I get...

Nov  1 17:10:34 fennywood pppd[7289]: The remote system is required to authenticate itself
Nov  1 17:10:34 fennywood pppd[7289]: but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.
Nov  1 17:10:34 fennywood pppd[7289]: (None of the available passwords would let it use an IP address.)

Thanks a LOT for your help so far...

--
Jonathan Markevich <jmarkevich@mad.scientist.com>
http://www.geocities.com/jmarkevich

Those who can, do; those who can't, write.
Those who can't write work for the Bell Labs Record.