Modem problem

Hi,

I have installed the Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 potato official i386 on my computer. When using the PPP,  it couldn't view my modem which is an internal modem installed on the port COM4. Under MS-Windows98, the connection works perfectly. The type of my modem is as follows :  HSP56 Audiomodem riser from PCtel Inc.
I really appreciate any help from you. Thanks in advance

RAKOTONIAINA Solofoarisoa
Dr. RAKOTONIAINA Solofoarisoa
Laboratoire de géophysique de l'environnement et de télédétection
Institut et observatoire de géophysique d'Antananarivo (IOGA)
Université d'Antananarivo
B.P 3843
101 Antananarivo
MADAGASCAR