Re: what is a Machine Check Exception ?

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, S.Salman Ahmed wrote:
> CPU 0: Machine Check Exception: 0000000400000000<0>Bank 1: f200000000000115general protection fault: 0000

Erk.  Read bluesmoke.c in the kernel source.

> Never seen this before, so I'd be interested in a (technical)
> explanatation of exactly what netscape (no surprise there) did to cause
> this.

It's telling you your PII/PIII is malfunctioning or something like that (I
don't know if it also traps RAM ECC errors or other stuff like that). If
you're an overclocker, you know why. If not, you might want to call Intel's
customer support...

BTW, I know this code had some changes made in 2.2.18pre?, and they might be
bugfixes or something like that. So, you might want to run the above through
Alan Cox... just send the oops and ask them what it means at
linux-kernel@kernel.org (the kernel development list). Do remember to tell
them your kernel version, CPU and motherboard, and that you're not
subscribed to the list...

  Henrique Holschuh