Re: Debian 2.2 and security - SecurityPortal article

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> Edited /etc/hosts.deny to read ALL:ALL to boot.  This should perhaps

You probably want to add portmap: ALL to /etc/hosts.deny as well, just in
case. ALL: ALL does not handle the portmapper for some reason.

> Change your BIOS settings to only boot from the internal disk and
> password protect it.  On my system I have such a setup and require a

[...]

BIOSes are very easy to erase, you know. Some are even stupid enough to have
'master key' passwords. You really need to keep the machine behind a locked
door (or in a special locked case) if you can't trust everyone who gets near
it. Otherwise, it won't hold even a reasonably tech-savy 10 year old (read
proto-hardware-hacker) that manages to stay 5 minutes alone near the machine
in possession of some tools and a small resistor (if he's a nice kid) or
piece of wire (if he's a not-so-nice kid or likes sparks) :-)

(and if said 10-year-old likes to read stuff such as "Zen and the art of
lockpicking", a locked door and case might not be enough...)

  Henrique Holschuh