EXIM / FETCHMAIL Question

In previous flavors of Linux and Freebsd, I had sendmail
running.  I would do a "fetchmail" to get my email from
my ISP, and I had a ".forward" file that would send my
mail to "procmail" for sorting/filtering.

I now have Debian 2.2 Potato set up and it uses exim.
I do NOT have a ".forward" file, but I do have my
".procmailrc" recipe file.  When I do a "fetchmail" my
incoming mail is sorted/filtered using my ".procmailrc"
recipe file.  Is this normal behavior for exim?  Can I
get rid of my ".forward" file?

--
---
Christopher W. Aiken