Re: A possible problem with x-terminal-emulator?

> On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 08:18:25PM +0300, Shaul Karl wrote:
> > A few days ago I reported here that I have a problem with text apps
> > (top, mc, pstree and such) that are being launched in X using the menu
> > system (that is, with something like apps->System->Top). To be more
> > specific, it appeared that the X terminal that these apps are using
> > does not read the xterm* resources I have in ~/.Xresources. I also
> > claimed that this problem is new.  Can it be that this problem is due
> > to the use of x-terminal-emulator? Am I right that the
> > x-terminal-emulator thing is rather new?  --
>
> Shouldn't matter,
>
> /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator -> /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator
> /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator -> /usr/bin/X11/xterm
>
> Unless it points to something other than /usr/bin/X11/xterm.  Are you
> using xsm to manage X sessions?  That's the only place I've noticed
> where global Xresources aren't sourced -- and only when used with GDM
> where the Xsession option is chosen (rather than GNOME or Debian).
> However, $HOME/.Xresources *is* still loaded.

I am using xdm and do not use xsm (unless xsm is called behind the scene).

> Maybe check ~/.xsession-errors.  Could be a syntax error in your
> ~/.Xresources.  Also, make sure there is *no* space after:
>
> XTerm*Font: 10x20
>
> I've noticed that spaces following a resource setting are sometimes
> grokked as part of the name -- and then it's not found!  One might think
> that was a bug with xrdb.  It should trim leading/trailing spaces.

My ~/.Xresources are probably correct since XShells->Xterm is working as it
was before.
And it is not only the fonts I am talking about when running those text apps
within X using the menu system: it is the missing scrolbar and the fact that
the icon is not tux.
~/.xsession-errors does not show anything unusual:

[09:10:13 /tmp]$ cat ~/.xsession-errors
[FVWM][Read]: <<ERROR>> file '.fvwm2rc' not found in $HOME or /etc/X11/fvwm
[FVWM][Read]:  trying to read system rc file
[09:10:25 /tmp]$