Re: VMware and bridged networking

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> is there anyone using VMware under NT 4.0?

I just installed it yesterday.

> I've successfully installed Debian 2.1r4 as a guest OS under VMware running
> in NT 4.0. It was very easy, I didn't have ANY problems whatsoever.

I used potato.

> HOWEVER I can't get the networking stuff running. The AMC PCnet adapter is
> being found, I *can* ping the IP address of my real ethernet adapter (i.e.
> the IP address of the host OS,) I can ping the guest OS from the host OS,
> but I can't out of my box into the LAN. :-(
>
> In case it matters I'm using 192.168.0.* addresses for my LAN. "Forwarding"
> in NT is enabled. The VMware virtual ethernet adapter under NT has an IP
> address of 192.168.230.1. Is that ok? I'm not sure how the whole emulation
> thing works, so I don't understand how to fix my problems...

I used DHCP during the potato installation (after loading the kernel and
drivers from the 5 floppy set). Then it immediately was able to finish the
installation from the net.

> Currently two services are running under NT: VMnet Bridge (for VMnet0) and
> VMnet DHCP Server. Do I really need the DHCP server? I normally don't use
> DHCP on my LAN, all IPs are assigned statically.

Have you tried using an IP addr on the same subnet as NT's original IP?

...RickM...