RE: Slink but no Internet...:-(

Do you have the serial port drivers installed?  if you do an 'lsmod'
command, you should see 'serial' as a module if you haven't compiled it into
the kernel.  otherwise 'insmod serial' and 'insmod ppp' should get you a
long ways towards your goal.  If all else fails refer to
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO/index.html for detailed help.