Re: Transferring files between a windows machine and a Debian Linux machine

I am at this game for the last few years. There are two solutions to this:

Solution 1: If you have multiple OSs (like me) with Debian 2.1, Slack-7,
and Win-98, (and BeOS till recently):

   a) Create a separate partition, (Type of partition msdos or vfat).
       Use "fips" for non destructive re-partitioning of existing DOS
       partitions in case you do not want a ner installation.
   b) This will show up automatically in DOS/ Win as Drive "X"
   c) From Linux mount this partition, as umsdos, (otherwise, long
       file names will be juggered). Since the partition I use is hdb3,
       I mount it as follows:

        mount -t umsdos /dev/hdb3 /archive

    d) Having a separate partition has the advantage that all OSs which
        can access a MS DOS partition can be used for sharing data
        inclusive of mp3s, GIFs, HTML and other files.

Solution 2: Just mount your DOS/ Win9x partition as msdos or vfat
to a mount point of your choice. All long filenames in this case would
be 8.3 format. Just suitable enough for transfer of data, but not installing.

USM Bish