Which is preferred? kbd or console-tools?

Given the level of confusion over keyboard mapings mentioned in recent
posts, and the fact that I have to manually re-run /etc/init.d/key* to
get *my* preferred keymap up (swapped ctrl/caps-lock), and my generally
not knowing why there are both kbd and console-tools packages -- what
are they, what do they do (beside fsck up keymappings), which is the
prefered alternative?

TIA.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)