Re: Update this morning killed local login. (I think I foundit)

Todd Suess wrote:
> Just for the heck of it, I decided to see what was happening at the
> end of the kernel boot
> sequence when it went to check for a valid Xwindows config.  I checked
> the following and
> this is what I found.
>
> blackhole:/etc/alternatives# update-alternatives --display
> x-window-manager
> x-window-manager - status is manual.
>  link currently points to /usr/bin/X11/vtwm
> /usr/bin/kde - priority 10
> Current `best' version is /usr/bin/kde.
>
> I have not had vtwm installed for a long time, for no apparent reason
> my x-window-manager
> was updated to a nonexistant window manager, thus the problem.  Not
> sure if this would affect
> local console login, but could it?  I tried to do this:
>
> blackhole:/etc/alternatives# update-alternatives --config
> x-window-manager
>
> There is only 1 program which provides x-window-manager
> (/usr/bin/kde). Nothing to configure.
>
> What would be the correct procedure to get things back pointing at kde
> again?
I had a similar problem when I first upgraded my Slink system to Potato.
It was because the upgrade switched from kbd to consoltools, for key
mapping. I simply did it without thinking--and from that point I could
not get the keys to output the correct character. I went into
consoltools and reconfigured the consol keyboard map from my Xterminal
which for some reason was OK. This solved the problem except for some
wierdness with the numerical keypad when logging in on X. It just beeps,
but I can use the number keys at the top. I selected the US standard
keyboard map from the selections offered, but I may need to use
something else. Any suggestions from the gallery??
--
AdVance-Computing Systems

We sell fine quality servers and workstations.
We specialize in multiprocessor units.
We install Debian Linux at no extra charge!

John Foster
jfoster@augustmail.com
ICQ# 19460173