Re: Update this morning killed local login.

On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 06:08:01PM +0100, Grendel wrote:
> ** On Mar 02, Todd Suess scribbled:
> >
> > Greets ppl,
> >
> > I did an apt-get dist-upgrade this morning, and after that I can no longer
> > log in to the console.  I had just rebooted after the update, and was watching
> > the kernel boot messages, when I saw something strange pop up.  It was similar
> > to the following (going from memory)
> >
> > Checking for valid XFree86 configuration file.....unable to check!
> > Not starting KDM Windows Manager
> >
> > I then got a normal non X login console screen, but no matter what
> I got that several times as well. It turned out that the keyboard was
> initialized in a way that some keys (apparently at random) were swapped -
> e.g. q/a, y/z. At first I thought the problem was that I selected a Polish
> keyboard (Poland has two keyboard layouts - one "official" and practically
> not used :), and the other one "programmers". The official one uses the
> qwertz layout while the other the standard US one), but the keys were
> swapped each time differently. It was enough for me to login remotely, su to
> root and reinitialize the keyboard. To see whether it is your problem - just
> type the password as a login name and see whether all characters are
> correct. I failed to find where the problem lied since the keyboard layout
> initialized by console-tools worked OK when the keyboard was reinitialized.

I once had my usual "qwerty" keymap replaced with "azerty" following an
update.  That took a while to diagnose....  <g>

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)

Scope out Scoop:  http://scoop.kuro5hin.org/
Nothin' rusty about Kuro5hin:  http://www.kuro5hin.org/