Re: exim problem

On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 11:29:33AM -0800, Mark Symonds wrote
> Hello,
>
> I have 118 msgs sitting in /var/spool/exim/input That are frozen, all with
> the same error:
>
> 11oG5a-0006tw-00
> ::::::::::::::
> 1999-11-17 17:10:18 user@DOMAIN.NAME: lookuphost router deferred:
> lowest numbered MX record points to local host
> *** Frozen ***
>
> The master file in /var/named for this domain is identical to three other
> domains on the box which are happily accepting mail, and exim.conf
> does have local_domains = DOMAIN.NAME.  Any ideas?
>
> Exim version is 2.05 #1.

Exim is treating the messages as if they *don't* appear in local_domains,
so first check:
 - Are you running Exim as a daemon? If so, make sure you stop & restart it.
 - Is the spelling really really right, and the local_domains setting in
   the right section (near the top) of exim.conf, and do you really have
   only one local_domains setting?
 - Are you sure Exim is using the config file you think it's using?

You can verify that Exim is reading the correct value for local_domains
by running as root
 # exim -bP local_domains

There is a generic router option called "self" that you can use to force
Exim to accept itself as an MX for domains not listed in local_domains,
but you shouldn't use it - find and fix the problem you have, rather than
working around it and introducing a potential DOS weakness.

Finally, once a message is frozen it stays that way until you change
it (unless you have used the auto_thaw option in exim.conf), so
even once things are working OK you'll have to use something like
 # exim -M <message-id> ....

to place them back in the delivery queue.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au
john@huiac.apana.org.au