Switching between KDE & Helix-Gnome

Hello!

How can I switch between KDE and Helix-Gnome when both are installed on
the system? Unfortunately, I can not install gdm and kdm at the same time,
so I'm not sure what to do. One solution might be to do without an X
display manager entirely, but then I'm not sure whether I can still get
the same Helix-Gnome session as before. A better solution would perhaps be
to provide alternatives named "x-display-manager" and
"x-desktop-environment" that would enable one to conveniently switch
between both environments and still getting the display manager determined
for each environment, so that there is a consistent look&feel. That is, it
would be nice if one could say

update-alternatives --config x-desktop-environment

and then, depending on the user's choice, x-display-manager would be set
to either kdm or gdm. However, I'm not sure whether this can be done and
whether this mailing list is the appropriate place for such suggestions
(probably not, so I apologize).

Anyway, thanks for taking your time.

A Happy New Year to all Debian users around the world!

Greetings,

	Holger