Re: Load crash from speakers at startup

"Hall" == Hall Stevenson <hallstevenson@mindspring.com> writes:

>> On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 06:55:13AM -0500, David Purton wrote: >
>> just recently my speakers have started making a load > crash sound
>> at startup around when the sound card is initialised.

>> > I had the very same thing happen to me a while back.  I narrowed
>> > it down to be the SoundBlaster module loading; I guess it does >
>> some output test, and bootup the volume levels are cranked > up.  I
>> wasn't able to get rid off it, until I went to kernel 2.2.17, > and
>> the problem just disappeared...

> It may very well be related to the module loading and possibly the
> "soundbank" that's part of either the "awe" or "midi" portion. It
> also doesn't help that rebooting the card apparently re-initializes
> it and sets the volume to *almost* maximum. I think RedHat had a
> tool that prevented this from happening too.

I've a SB64AWE Pnp also, and this just happens randomly at bootup.
Happened under RedHat 6.0 also.  Sometimes it does, and sometimes it
doesn't, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.  I
don't think it has anything to do with kernel versions.

I do believe it has something to do with loading the module and/or
MIDI soundbank.  But I don't know why it does it sometimes and not
others, nor have I ever bothered tracking it down.

=wl
--
Albert ``Willy'' Lee, Emacs user, game programmer
"They call me CRAZY - just because I DARE to DREAM of a RACE of