Print filter/tool recommendations?

Anyone who can recommend good print filters for ordinary text?

lpr gives lousy output: pages are too long and wide, the font is too large.
lpf or pr is not much of use either.

man -k print|grep filter gives:
lpf (1)              - general printer filter
magicfilter (8)      - automatic configurable printer filter
magicfilterconfig (8) - writes interactively a printcap file.
fixpspps (1)         - filter to fix PSPrint PostScript so PSUtils work
vprint (1)           - print filter to break long lines

Not much here either. Pointers, suggestions?
At work I use something called lpp, but I don't know if lpp is generally
available.

Are a2ps or djscript (have a deskjet printer) usable?  Can they be
used in connection with printcap?