tr '\verb|\|000' '\verb|\|\n'?

Can somebody explain the subject line to me please.  I have read it in
a linux training document and it is not doing what the document says
it should do.  What I do not understand and do not know where to find
documentation on it is the '\verb|\|000' '\verb|\|\n' part.  I know tr
but what is '\verb|\|000'?  And the use of |\|?

The whole command according to the document is

cat /proc/$$/environ | tr '\verb|\|000' '\verb|\|\n'

which is supposed to put each variable it shows on a separate line.

Johann.
--
J.H. Spies - Tel/Faks +27-21-876-2337 Sel/Cell +27-82 898 1528
     "Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery