Re: ongoing sound problems

Christopher Fonnesbeck <chrisf@fonnesbeck.net> writes:

> Hubert,
>
> Thanks for all the help.  It didnt work, however.  I still get various
> messages from my audio apps that tell me there is no sound.  I tried
> recompiling again using sound as modules, but it appears worse now.  The
> /dev/sndstat is very empty now.  I really have no idea what to do now.
> Debian should really have a sound configuration tool like RedHat IMHO.
>
> Chris

You might want to give ALSA a try.  It has a configuration program
(interestingly, called alsaconf).  AFAIK, it has support for less sound cards
than the kernel modules, but if you're just using a SoundBlaster, it should be
fine.

You'll need to install these packages:
alsa-base
alsa-modules-XXXXXXX
alsautils (or alsa-utils if you're using woody)
alsaconf
esound-alsa (and remove esound)
libasound0

If you're using a custom kernel, you should install alsa-source instead of
alsa-modules-XXXX.

Hubert