quick upgrade help needed-kernel image not wanted

I'm in the middle of a woody upgrade, and discovered that the latest
greatest kernel image has been DL'd and is attemping to overwrite my custom
2.2.17 kernel.  I stopped that process when queried about the modules
directory, but apt refuses to continue with the rest of the upgrade.

I used aptitude to change the status of that package to hold, but apt-get
still has the script nagging at it.

Can someone tell me what the best step is to get out of this?  Simply
let the image get installed, and reinstall the old (requiring a -f option?)?

TIA,

Kenward