Re: apology

On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 05:33:33PM -0700, DMGrant wrote:
> I want to apologize for the repeated postings earlier today.
> I had no idea that it was being delivered to anyone.
> It just kept coming back to me as undeliverable.
> Judging from the amount of nasty emails I have gotten, it would seem that
> perhaps
> someone ought to fix that problem so that people like me who are new to
> this looking for help don't get slapped down for something they didn't
> realize they were doing.

That 'someone' would be 'postmaster@my.netvigator.com'.

Good luck getting them to do anything.  It's been tried.

The only thing the debian listmaster can do is remove every address at
netvigator.com and refuse to allow new ones on until they install a
proper mail server that knows what an SMTP envelope is.  But that would be
precisely as fair as kicking -you- off the list if Earthlink were being
boneheads.

My solution is simply to refuse all mail from
webmaster@my.netvigator.com with postfix:

Sep 23 16:58:25 bifur postfix/smtpd[3101]: reject: RCPT from
    imsmdm002.netvigator.com[208.167.231.173]: 550
    <webmaster@my.netvigator.com>: Sender address rejected: Learn how SMTP
    works and why envelope sender is important.;
    from=<webmaster@my.netvigator.com> to=<bem@cmc.net>

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting