Re: Branden confuses me with his recommendations for XF86 4.01 debs

> 	Dear colleagues,
>
> 	I have a computer that its videocard seems to require XFree86 4.01. I use
> Potato.
> 	I searched for stuff available, and when I decided to use the binary
> packages, while looking for info related to Debian with XF 4.01, I found a
> letter in XF86 page mailing lists by Branden Robinson (the maintainer of
> the XFree86 debianized packages) that said the following:
>
> "Debian users may prefer to try my preliminary XFree86 4.0.1 .debs instead
> of installing from the XFree86 tarballs."
>
> 	This is very nice, but in the X Strike Force page, maintained by him, I read
>
> "Phase 2 .debs of XFree86 4.0 are now available. These are retrievable with
> apt, and should upgrade smoothly from version 3.3.6 of XFree86, *but please
> note that they are for testing, not general-purpose use,* "
>
> 	Branden continues:
>
> "and the library packages should definitely should not be used to compile
> packages for upload to Debian."
>

> 	Well, I am newbie. What do I do? I won't upload anything to Debian, but I
> consider I'll give Xfree86 a "general-purpose use".

I believe that if your video card is not supported by 3.3.6 then you have no
choice. Otherwise, until 4.01 will be more mature you might settle for 3.3.6.

> 	I'd like to know if this is a decent question. Some days before I sent
> here a question that actually was very stupid, because the answer was in
> the docs (thanks to all repliers!). I take very seriously the large amount
> of questions posted here and I'd like to reduce my trash sent at the minimum.

If you have made a reasonable effort to find the answer by yourself then any
question is decent. Keep trying and post more questions in case you have ones.