Re: join us!

[Sorry for the late jump in, I found this thread because of Seth's X-Post]
Hi Oliver!

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> "Kurt Seifried" wrote:
>   >Problem: user can enter Lilo commands at the Lilo prompt
>   >Additional solution: remove/replace password in lilo.conf after setting it
>   >(i.e. set password, run lilo, remove password).
>
> You may not have noticed mbr:
> bash-2.04$ dpkg --status mbr
[...]
> If you are making a big thing of security against those with physical
> access, you need to mention this package, which is required and is
> silently installed in a Debian installation.  (It exists because the
> standard pc MBR is a non-free Microsoft product.)

Not any longer. There was a big discussion and flame fest a few months ago
and the default now is to _not_ install this mbr (instead install lilo into
the mbr). Additionally the mbr has been modified to print MBR upon boot time
so it is actually visible that /something/ is there.

HTH

					yours,
					peter

--