/tmp directory

Hi,

I lately have noticed some strange files in my /tmp directory.
These files have 0 bytes and their names start with "=" mark.
What are these files and where do they come from? Can I delete them?
Also there are directories that their names start with "orbit"
and then is a name of some users. And these directories are full of
files that I mentioned above. And just one more thing. Often when
I run "ls" I can see files that end with "~". And when I want to
see them in mc they disappeare. Why?
Thank you for help,

QBA