Re: Seyon with incoming calls

Dave Thayer <dthayer@netcom.com> wrote:

Thanks for your reply Dave - the only one so far.

> On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 10:45:14AM +0100, Barry Samuels wrote:
> > I am trying to get Seyon to answer incoming calls and there is,
> > strangely, no mention of answering incoming calls in the
> > documentation.
> [...]
> > What do I need to do to establish a connection for file transfer
> > for an incoming call?
> >

> IMO, Seyon wasn't really designed to handle incoming calls. I recommend
> installing mgetty to listen on your modem line. Mgetty gracefully shares
> serial lines with dialout programs like seyon or minicom, but will handle
> incoming connections and even take incoming faxes.

I already have mgetty installed, together with Hylafax, and I understand that mgetty will
pass on non-fax calls but how does it know where to pass those calls to ( e.g. Seyon) ?

> Depending upon what sort of remote system you are using you could just log
> into a shell and use zmodem or kermit to transfer files, or you could get
> fancy and set up pppd and samba or nfs to remotely access your filesystems.

The remote system is a friend who is a complete computer Dumbo but who can, just about, work
a windows comms package to dial my machine at which point I want to initiate a file
transfer.  Why do I want to do it this way round?  He pays for the call!

I have been doing this with ZOC on OS/2 but am now, slowly, transferring operations to
Linux.

Barry Samuels