Re: Grainy Gnome

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 11:51:01AM -0400, Scott_Patterson@AndersonsInc.Com wrote:

> > I'm not sure what's causing this but my X settings looks grainy on Gnome
> (using
> > Sawmill for wm).  To be check if helix-gnome is supposed to look grainy I
> > booted to Win2K and went to helixcode's website.  There I saw what helix gnome
> > is really supposed to look and I like what I saw.  So my question is:
>
> > How can I remove the grainyness out of my X install?
>
> > I have 2.2 and installed helix-gnome from spidermonkey .deb files and I have a
> > 3D Rage Pro AGP 2X vidcard with 8MB ram and using 1024x768 res and 32 bpp.
>
> > My resolution is no problem it's only this grainy texture that bothers me.
>

> It sounds like you're not actually running at 32 bpp. If I remember correctly,
> there is a file in /proc that lists the X-server specs. It should have the bpp
> you're actually running (assuming X is running at the time).

Nope, only kernel space stuff can have entries in /proc.  X, thank RMS,
runs in Userland.

Go for xdpyinfo for display info.  You'll see the depth up near the top
of each Display section:

screen #0:
  dimensions:    1280x1024 pixels (433x347 millimeters)
  resolution:    75x75 dots per inch
  depths (1):    16

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting