Re: Why should I use Debian?

It's also the first time I installed debian, previously I used a RH -
box. Every dist. has pro and cons, I think, the cons of debian are the
relatively large amount of knowledge to master the system. The pros-for me
is the estaunishing- "bug-freeness" and the elegance thinks going to
work. One is the

apt-cdrom
apt-get
apt-cache

bundle. I've never used dselect, perhaps I'll never try...

Peter

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Helgi Örn wrote:

> Hi all Debians!
>
> I am a devoted Linux user, running Caldera at work and SuSE at home
> (that's also work!). At home I have a dual boot with Win98 and I always
> have an extra partition to run an extra Linux distribution for testing,
> I've installed and configured almost all of the most common
> distributions.
>
> Debian/GNU is the most interesting projec I can imagine in the world of
> software, idealistically it suites me perfect. I really would love to be
> able to use Debian as my default OS.
> I installed Debian 2.1 (slink) several times but I was never able to
> configure it to my satisfaction, GNOME never worked, ppp never
> worked,printer never worked, everything was just a total mess. With
> great excitement I waited for the 'potato' to be cooked, and here it is;
> ready to consume!
> I've installed it, Debian 2.2 'potato' and it's a total mess! Worst of
> all is dselect, after the main installation I used dselect to install
> some extra packages, took me around two hours to go through the whole
> collection. When it came to installing the packages it only installed a
> few of what I had chosen, some only partially, but most of them it
> didn't install at all.
>
> Are there bugs in dselect?
>
> Helgi Örn

----

P.Malewski, Maschplatz 8, 38114 Braunschweig, Tel.: 0531 500965,
At work: (MH-Hannover): 0511 532 3194 / Fax: 0511 532 3190,
P.Malewski@tu-bs.de, peter.malewski@gmx.de, malewski.peter@mh-hannover.de.