Re: strange /var/log/messages

On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 02:10:58AM +0200, Danny Pansters wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Sep 2000, William Jensen wrote:
> > Anyone have any idea what this is:
> >
> > Sep  3 17:17:30 stimpy -- MARK --
> > Sep  3 17:37:30 stimpy -- MARK --
> > Sep  3 17:57:30 stimpy -- MARK --
> > Sep  3 18:17:30 stimpy -- MARK --
> > Sep  3 18:37:30 stimpy -- MARK --
> >
> > I see those all day long.
>
> I have those too, I don't believe they mean anything bad is going on, but I
> also would like to know what exactly this is.
>
> I always thought it were kernel messages relating to memory swapping or
> network checks or something.

They simply mean that the system is OK at the moment.  This information
could be useful in finding out when a system was last alive before it
crashed.  (Notice that they happen once every 20 minutes)

Cheers,
Chris

--
pick, pack, pock, puck: like drops of water in a fountain falling
softly in the brimming bowl.