Re: I hosed my network

On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 10:57:06PM -0400, Jonathan D. Proulx wrote:
> >From your opening line I assume this was working in the past.  If so
> what has changed?

First, thanks for the reply. The only changes were the recent updates
in potato wrt to Netscape and libc.  However, before I was working on
my ipchains rule sets.  At times the link would fail, which I ascribed
to some bad rules.  So... it was flaky starting last week.  Not
sure if it matters but the ipchains -L command would get stuck at
times.  From the error messages,  it at first glance seems that my
routing is messed up.  The routing tables *seem* OK, but of course
I could be overlooking something, which is what I wanted to have
double checked.  If the routing is OK, then yes, the cable could be
bad or even one of the cards, I suppose.

> If this has never worked, are you using a crossover cable?

The real bummer is I have had a working LAN for a year until now.

> In either case are there link lights on your ethernet cards and are
> they lit?  maybe we wire went bad.

Well the link light is on, but the ACK and COL lights are not on .
The ACK light may indicate something, but I'd reckon the COL light
means "collision" which I supoose should not be on.

> good luck,

Thanks,  apparently I need it. (:

--
Cliff